Review Amtrak Vacations' guidelines for carry-on and checked baggage.
Passengers are allowed 2 free carry-on bags, up to 50 lbs and 28” x 22” x 14” each (Pacific Surfliner®, Capitol Corridor®, San Joaquin®: 28” x 22” x 11”).
Additional personal items permitted include:
- Required medical devices and medication
- Pillows, blankets and outer garments
- Coolers, purses or small bags no larger than 12” x 12” x 12”
- Small electronic devices with protective cases.
Stowage: Items must be kept in the passenger’s custody, stored in overhead racks, under seats or in designated baggage areas: items may not be stored in empty seats, aisles, vestibules or other areas where they may cause annoyance to other passengers or present a safety hazard.
Due to limited space on board trains, we ask that passengers please follow the Amtrak® Carry-On Baggage policy. Baggage that goes over the restrictions may not be accepted on board.
Checked baggage is only available to ticketed passengers whose origin and destination stations offer this service. Not all trains or locations are equipped to handle checked baggage. Call Amtrak® at 1-800-USA-RAIL for details of service availability.
- A maximum of four checked items are allowed per passenger.
- 2 free checked bags, up to 50 lbs and 75 linear inches (length + width + height)
- You may check 2 additional bags @ $20/bag
- Oversized baggage accepted for $20/bag (76-100 linear inches)
- Luggage must be checked 45 minutes prior to scheduled train departure
- ID tags required on all luggage (free tags supplied in station)
- Luggage must be in container suitable for transport.
NOTE: Storage tubs and plastic bags are prohibited.
If you have additional questions regarding baggage guidelines on Amtrak, please call us and speak with a Rail Vacation Specialist.
Monday – Friday: 9:00 AM – 10:00 PM ET
Saturday: 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM ET