Review Amtrak Vacations' guidelines for carry-on and checked baggage.
Passengers are allowed 2 personal items, 25lbs (12kg) and 14 x 11 x 7 inches each and 2 free carry-on bags, up to 50 lbs (23 kg) and 28” x 22” x 14” each (Pacific Surfliner®, Capitol Corridor®, San Joaquin®: 28” x 22” x 11”).
Personal items permitted include:
- Required medical devices and medication
- Pillows, blankets, and outer garments
- Coolers, purses, or small bags no larger than 14”x11”x7”
- Small electronic devices with protective cases.
Passengers traveling with infants under the age of two may bring an additional infant item onboard (stroller, diaper bag, etc.), which does not count toward the carry-on baggage or personal item limit.
Items must be kept in the passenger’s custody, stored in overhead racks, under seats, or in designated baggage areas: items may not be stored in empty seats, aisles, vestibules, or other areas where they may cause annoyance to other passengers or present a safety hazard.
*Due to limited space onboard trains, we ask that passengers please follow the Amtrak® Carry-On Baggage policy. Baggage that goes over the restrictions may not be accepted onboard.
Checked baggage service is available at a number of our stations and on many trains and Thruway Services. Not all trains or locations are equipped to handle checked baggage. Before you travel, make sure to check and see if your train and origin and destination stations accept checked baggage. Call Amtrak® at 1-800-USA-RAIL for details of service availability.
A maximum of four checked items is allowed per passenger.
- 2 free checked bags, up to 50 lbs and 75 linear inches (length + width + height)
- You may check 2 additional bags at $20/bag
- Oversized baggage accepted for $20/bag (76-100 linear inches)
- Luggage must be checked 45 minutes prior to scheduled train departure
- ID tags required on all luggage (free tags supplied in the station)
- Luggage must be in containers suitable for transport.
NOTE: Storage tubs and plastic bags are prohibited.
If you have additional questions regarding baggage guidelines on Amtrak, please call us and speak with a Rail Vacation Specialist.