The Historic Golden Ox Restaurant opened its doors in May of 1949. The restaurant's purpose was simply to furnish a good place to dine for the ranchers, farmers, and their wives who brought their livestock to the stockyards, featuring the then and now world-famous Kansas City Steak.
The history of the Historic Golden Ox Restaurant goes beyond its own 63 year history. The restaurant's roots go all the way back to 1871 when the first independent stock yard was organized and facilities erected in the Kansas City west bottoms on the east bank of the Kaw river. The first exchange building was only twenty-four feet square. This area had always been a trading center, dating back to the days when trappers, hunters, and Indians came to trade furs, livestock, grains, and other valuable commodities. Over the years the stock yards grew rapidly as the remaining frontier was opened and settled. At one time over 1.8 million cattle per year passed through the Kansas City Stockyards.
|Valid Dates:||Year Round|